Friday, April 15, 2011

MG Unicorn Gundam Ver.Ka [Destroy Mode] Part.1


This old model kit was on my wishlist for a long time, but I always refrained myself from buying it. The reason  is because its poor articulation and transformation. Then, Unicorn Gundam was (and still is) around $50. As a High Grade builder, this price was definitely out of my league. Also, I mainly build High Grades, so I was never urged myself to purchase this model kit.

When Bandai decided to adopt the novel into an anime, I just couldn't fight the urge not to buy this model kit. I felt that HG won't capture the essence of this mobile suit, so I decided to purchase the MG of Unicorn.

"Bandai released OVA version of MG Unicorn Gundam. It has better articulation and easier transformation. So, why did you purchase Ver.Ka?" Well, I just feel like having the original version up on my shelf rather than the anime version. Besides, who can resist Ver.Ka's stylish box?

OVA version (left) looks like any other action figure box, while Ver.Ka (right) looks like something that Apple Inc. would produce, don't you think?

I didn't like the pink-red psychoframes that the model kit originally came out with. So, I masked them with red Sharpie permanent marker. For some reason, Sharpie markers have the ability to increase the luminosity of a color without being too glossy, which I like. Be careful, though. They bleed, so make sure you top coat them.

The marker that I used to color the psychoframes, Sharpie's red fine point permanent marker (left). The camera might not catch it very well, but the backpack psychoframe (right) is now exotic red instead of pink-red.

I didn't like the glossy appearance of the model kit. The toy-like appearance certainly kills the power of the model kit. So, I decided to coat it with white so that it looks flat.

Parts of the shield (left and center) after a paint job. It looks a little bit rough and flaky at first, but after some toothbrush action, it looks as fine as an expensive pair of suede shoes. 

That is all for now. Next part would be the inner frame.

So many runners! 

1 comment:

  1. nice idea with the red sharpie...i'm gonna try that with my unicorn too!

    ReplyDelete